Badminton | India Open, Syed Modi cancelled in BWF’s adjusted calendar

The badminton season has been on hold after the All England Championship in March.

The India Open Super 500 and the Syed Modi International Super 300 tournaments were on Thursday cancelled by the Badminton World Federation in its adjusted calendar to salvage a season thrown haywire by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The India Open, which was originally scheduled in March, was to be held from December 8 to 13 in New Delhi and Syed Modi was slated for November 17 to 22 in Lucknow in the previously revised calendar.

“The Badminton World Federation (BWF) will implement an adjusted tournament calendar for the HSBC BWF World Tour in 2020,” the world body said in a statement.

“The TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2020 in Aarhus, Denmark will remain part of the international tournament calendar and will proceed on the planned dates of 3-11 October 2020.

“All remaining HSBC BWF World

Read More

2020 badminton calendar shrinks further due to COVID-19



a person holding a racket on a stage


© Provided by N.C.N. Limited


Du Yue/Li Yinhui (L) of China compete during the women’s doubles semifinal match against Lee So Hee/Shin Seung Chan of South Korea at the All England Open 2020 badminton tournament in Birmingham on March 14, 2020. (Photo by Tim Ireland/Xinhua)

The Badminton World Federation has changed the 2020 calendar again as a result of continued coronavirus uncertainty.

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) — The 2020 badminton tournament calendar has been further adjusted with most World Tour events dropped due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) said on Thursday.

“We are confident in creating a safe environment around all BWF World Tour tournaments, however, the main challenge with the existing tournament calendar is our capacity to move participants between different territories where different entry and safety restrictions apply,” BWF said in a statement.

“Therefore, in light of the exceptional circumstances we find ourselves

Read More

BWF cancels India Open, Syed Modi tournament in new adjusted calendar

Elwanda Tulloch

Kuala Lumpur, Aug 27 (UNI) The Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Thursday cancelled the India Open Super 500 and the Syed Modi International Super 300 tournaments, as they announced the adjusted calendar for 2020, in order to save the season disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

‘After discussions with @bwfmedia & after weighing the concerns of COVID pandemic it’s been decided that both #SyedModiInternational & #IndiaOpen stand cancelled for this year. The safety of players & other stakeholders connected to the game is paramount.We hope to return in 2021,’ the Badminton Association of India (BAI) tweeted.

The India Open, which was originally scheduled in March, was to be held from December 8 to 13 in New Delhi and Syed Modi was slated for November 17 to 22 in Lucknow in the previously revised calendar.

‘The Badminton World Federation (BWF) will implement an adjusted tournament calendar for the HSBC BWF World Tour

Read More